By Kellie Lail
Ads have the potential to expire after going 15 days or more in a row without receiving any applicants. Ads can also expire if you have received applicants on the ad, but it’s been live for over 30 days and the applicant traffic has begun to slow down.
Ads expire in an attempt for the job boards to ensure that all of the ads on their site are relevant and interesting to candidates. If your ad is live for 15 days without receiving any applicants, you’re going to have to make some changes. I do always recommend putting a note on your calendar every 15 days after you post your job ad. This way, you’ll be able to check to see if your ad has expired or if it is set to expire. This way, you’ll know if you need to go ahead and repost with some changes in order to make sure you don’t miss out on any time with your ad on the job boards.
What should I change if my ad expired?
First, you need to make sure your ad is not violating any of the job board guidelines. Here are some things to consider:
- Is your title accurate?
- Do you have a reasonable salary range listed?
- Did you mention that it is Base Salary plus Commission in your Benefits section? Ads without this justification will likely not go live.
- Do you offer Fully Remote options?
If you said yes to all of these questions, you should be good to repost. The next step I recommend is adding a sponsorship budget.
If you said no to any of the above questions, or say yes to either of the following questions, you need to make some changes to improve your ad before reposting and adding a sponsorship budget.
- Does your ad include verbiage like uncapped or unlimited?
- Does your ad include words listed in all capital letters, the excessive use of exclamation points or special characters, or anything else that would make the ad look like spam to candidates?
Making sure that your ad meets all the job board guidelines and is attractive to candidates will give you the best chance of bringing in applicants and avoiding your job expiring. But don’t worry! If it expires, all you have to do is go to Post Jobs – View All, find the Action bar to the right of your job title, and then read the information above. Once you’ve made sure your ad is good to go, click Post Ad and your job will get right back out on those boards!